Velvety Mashed Potatoes,
This is a classic example of comfort food which is served as side dish in many countries along with breakfast, lunch, supper & dinner .There are many different ways of preparing mashed potatoes...it is made by mashing boiled potatoes(peeled or unpeeled) with potato masher, fork or grater....it depends upon type of mashed potatoes you want to make, different things can be added like bacon bits, garlic, mushroom, caramelized onions, butter, veg oil or Olive oil, cream, milk, cheese, buttermilk, sour cream etc....... it is then seasoned with salt, pepper & /or dash of nutmeg sometimes spices or chopped herbs are added for extra flavor. Gravy is added sometimes before serving( dark brown gravy or light brown gravy) ...I've have had mostly 6 to 7 varieties of mashed potatoes & have created my own version as per my taste... i simply cannot think of having steak without mashed potatoes....no no not me....i just need an excuse to make mashed potatoes...it is one of our family favourites....very simple to make.This recipe is not for low cal diet people.......i don't believe in low cal diets...i believe in enjoying the food as per your liking & working out extra next day...that's me....as i always say everything in moderation is good for health.............enjoy:)
4 tbs of butter
1 Cup Heavy Cream
dash of pepper
Salt as per taste
- Peel the potatoes & cut them in small square inch pieces or halves & boil them till fully cooked.
- Drain the water from the potatoes & mash it or pass it through strainer.
- Meanwhile heat heavy bottom pan , melt half of the butter( don't let it burn) & reduce the heat to low, now add the mashed potatoes .
- Warm the heavy cream in microwave for a min or so.(the main reason is that cream should be warm otherwise the mashed potatoes will be sticky rather than fluffy which is the standard desired texture).
- Now add cream and rest of the butter in the mashed potato & stir in between.
- Add salt & pepper as per your taste.
- Cook till you see a layer of butter on the sides, serve it with your favourite dish.
- You can add milk instead of heavy whipped cream.( but make sure the milk is warm before adding, otherwise cold milk tends to make the starch in the potato sticky).
- Use vegetable broth or chicken broth instead of milk or cream to reduce calories.
- Make it 10 min before serving the meal.
- You can serve it with garlic mushrooms, garlic bread, steaks or simple toast.
- You can mash the potatoes with masher directly in the pan after draining water & step 3.
- Keep the heat at low throughout the cooking time.